Thomas W. Lloyd, Jr. founded the Lloyd Lumber Company in Patterson in 1951. He owned the company for seven years before
selling the company to Fred Dill. Before his death on July 26, 1958, Lloyd had suffered a series of strokes that left him partially paralyzed
and confined to a wheelchair. He remained, however, an avid hunter and fisherman, and was a member of the Westchester Sportsman Club and the
Bedford Golf and Tennis Club. He was a 1928 graduate of Harvard University, and for a time was associated with the New York Trust Company. Lloyd
retired from the lumber business in 1957, and then taught history at the Harvey School for Boys in Hawthorne, New York. Lloyd made his home in
Katonah, where he committed suicide at the age of 54.
Fred Dill was a principle in both Lloyd Lumber and Dain & Dill.
Dill developed Lloyd's into a chain of 21 stores, but sold the business in the 1990s. In 1962, Dain & Dill and its affiliate, Lloyd Lumber, joined
a consortium of building supply companies that purchased Gold Star Homes, a manufacturer of pre-fabricated houses, house kits and house building plans.
Many Gold Star homes were built in the Putnam County vicinity. In April, 1966, the Lloyd Lumber Co. of Patterson purchased the
Eaton Kelly Lumber Co. of Brewster, located off NYS Route 6 on Allview Avenue. The transaction
was jointly announced by Howard E. Kelley, president of Eaton-Kelley, and Fred Dill, Sr., president of Lloyd Lumber.
The first Lloyd Lumber location was along the east side of the New York Central tracks opposite Front
Street. The building was cramped with little storage or selling space. In March, 1965, Lloyd Lumber completed construction of a new, much larger
building, located behind the old building, with the entrance on NYS Route 311. The new structure was located approximately on the site of the
present Benfield Electric warehouse. The new building used steel trusses to provide a fifty foot clear span, creating a large, 7,500 sq. ft. open
selling floor. The Patterson Post Office
moved into the old Lloyd space, but only occupied the space for a short time. An adjoining two story building continued to be used by Lloyd for storage.
In October, 1967, a fire on the second floor of that building caused considerable damage, but was brought under control in ten minutes by the
Patterson Fire Department. The Department arrived quickly with four pieces of equipment and 40 men, and extinguished
the blaze which was confined to the 30 foot by 15 foot second floor space. The fire was fed by cardboard shipping cartons containing new cabinets, and
the burning cartons created thick smoke. The Pawling Fire Dept. joined the Patterson Dept. after being summoned by a panicked onlooker, according to
Patterson Fire Chief William J. Bubenicek.
Fire would destroy Lloyd Lumber again, this time the new store that was built in 1965. The store was rebuilt, but, on July 24, 1975, both the new
Lloyd Lumber building and the adjoining Patterson Work Bench furniture store were completely
destroyed by a quick moving fire that was reported at 6:30 PM on a Thursday evening. The fire started in the Lloyd building and
spread to the furniture store. Firefighters from Patterson, Putnam Lake, Pawling,
Brewster, and Lake Carmel responded with 200 men and 19 pieces of equipment. Two men from the Patterson department and two
men from the Putnam Lake department were overcome by smoke and taken to the emergency room at Putnam Community Hospital in Carmel.
Cleanup began the next day, and Lloyd's employees removed the undamaged goods that were stored outdoors. Lost were the 10,000
sq. ft. showroom, the attached warehouse, all adjoining storage buildings, and the separate building housing the furniture store.
The original Lloyd's building was undamaged; it was leased to Turnersons Electric. The Dill's vowed to rebuild, and three
months later a building permit was issued for a new, larger Lloyd's store. Fred Dill, Sr. explained that the location was strategic
because of the availability of a railroad siding to deliver stock, and the large investment the company had made in the land and the
improvements it had made in the property. The new store would be housed in a single 22,000 sq. ft. structure, which would house the
showroom and all but the bulkiest stock. The building would be frame construction supported by wood trusses. Construction began in
The new Lloyd Lumber store in Patterson opened February 9, 1976. Ed Mayer was the store manager. Large overhead doors allowed
customers to drive into the lumber warehouse to load their vehicles. Sixty foot wood trusses created a large, open area. Construction
was plagued by a series of mishaps. The building's architect, working in Cleveland, Ohio, lost the first set of building plans to a
flood in his office. The paved area was completed on the last day off operation for the blacktop supplier, which was closing for the
winter. The excavator firm, from Poughquag, New York, put every available man on the project in shifts that began at dawn and ended at
dusk. The selling floor would be approximately the same size as the former building, but the warehouse space would be greatly increased.
In April, 1978, Philip Buxbaum, Sr., announced that he would close his auto sales
showroom on NYS Route 22 in Pawling, and lease the three acre site and 9,000 sq. ft. showroom to Lloyd Lumber. The Pawling and Patterson
stores would be consolidated into the new location. The Lloyd Pawling location was the former Coleman Lumber Company on Memorial Avenue.
Other Lloyd operations, such as a mechanical shop housed in Carmel, would be consolidated and moved to Pawling. The Patterson store would
become a warehouse and distribution center for kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities. Lloyd Lumber was unable to expand its warehouse
space in its Brewster location, making the Patterson location, with its adjacent railroad siding, an attractive candidate for Lloyd's
growing need for warehouse space.
In the summer of 1979, the Dills sold the Lloyd's chain to the American Maize Company. The Dills were retained by American Maize to manage
the Lloyd business. At the end of 1979, Philip Buxbaum, Sr. joined Lloyd Lumber as a vice president in charge of administration. Buxbaum was in
charge of the credit, collection, legal, personnel, and security departments. He was a graduate of the University of South Carolina where he
earned a degree in business management.
This first ad announces a home show at the store in Patterson, co-sponsored by Dain & Dill. The ad appeared in the Putnam County Courier on
May 23, 1957. The photo shows a recently completed Gold Star house on Cornwall Hill Road, in Patterson. This was the third Gold Star home in
Patterson owned by the Kessmans, and the fifth owned by a member of the Kessman family. Shown in the picture are Fred Dill, Sr., Mrs. Mildred Towle,
manager of Lloyd Lumber in Patterson, Mrs. Bernard Kessman, and Mrs. Albert Kessman. The house was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Kessman, and was
located next to the homes of Bernard's brothers Albert and Martin, and their father, Milton. The photo appeared in the Putnam County Courier on
June 7, 1962. By the time the next ad ran in the February 7, 1963 edition of the Courier, Dain & Dill and Lloyd Lumber were affiliates, as indicated
on the bottom of the ad. Insulation was featured in the next ad, which appeared in the Courier on November 5, 1964.
Steel trusses are bolted into position as the new Lloyd Lumber showroom and warehouse is assembled on NYS Route 311 in a picture published in the
January 7, 1965 edition of the Courier. The next two ads, from the March 25, 1965 and April 1, 1965 editions of the Courier, shows the new location
of Lloyd Lumber. In the next photo, appearing in the April 1, 1965 edition of the Courier, John Lane of Kent attracts passing motorists to the Lloyd
Lumber grand opening and its policy, of "Cash, Carry, and Save". Wood paneling was offered at a special sale at the Patterson store in this ad from
the November 13, 1969 edition of the Courier.
In the next photo, Lloyd's officers Carl Dill and Fred Dill, Jr. examine the debris from the fire that destroyed the
Patterson location in July, 1975. The next ad announces a tent sale at the Patterson location, and thanks all the
emergency services that helped to fight the blaze.